We've all heard it before. Customers buy from companies they know, like, and trust.
Customers also prefer to buy from businesses they respect and relate to.
Your core business values may be one of the driving forces behind your brand, but they're so much more than that.
The principles by which you operate your business are what attract the right customers. They attract the right employees and motivate them daily. They also attract the right business partners while helping to guide your decision making.
In fact, your core values are what drive your entire business, regardless of what's happening in your market or the economy.
Core business values are the make up of your business's essential DNA and they establish its culture.
While they may sound a little corny or sentimental, values are actually a critical part of your business's success. All the big companies that have stood the test of time have them.
Here are just a few examples:
Southwest’s “Live the Southwest Way”
- Warrior Spirit (Strive to be the best; display a sense of urgency; never give up)
- Servant’s Heart (Follow the Golden Rule; treat others with respect; embrace our Southwest Family)
- Fun-LUVing Attitude (Be a passionate Team Player; don't take it too seriously; always celebrate successes)
- Leadership: The courage to shape a better future
- Collaboration: Leverage collective genius
- Integrity: Be real
- Accountability: If it is to be, it's up to me
- Passion: Committed in heart and mind
- Diversity: As inclusive as our brands
- Quality: What we do, we do well
- Fanatical support in all we do.
- Results first. Substance over flash.
- Treat rackers like friends and family.
- Passion for our work.
- Full disclosure and transparency.
- Committed to greatness.
- We Satisfy And Delight Our Customers — Our customers are the lifeblood of our business and our most important stakeholder. We strive to meet or exceed their expectations on every shopping experience.
- We Promote Team Member Growth And Happiness — Our success is dependent upon the collective energy, intelligence, and contributions of all of our Team Members.
- We Care About Our Communities And The Environment — We serve and support a local experience. The unique character of each store is a direct reflection of a community’s people, culture, and cuisine.
- We Practice Win-Win Partnerships With Our Suppliers — We view our trade partners as allies in serving our stakeholders. We treat them with respect, fairness and integrity – expecting the same in return.
Ready to define your own set of core values?
We've put together an infographic based on content from our course called From Values to Profit.
It will help you identify your core values based on a series of brainstorming questions. Check it out:
You can also find a Big List of Core Values here.
As I said, the infographic is based on information from one of our courses, which you can grab a license to and teach to your own customers and readers.
Do YOU have a set of core values that drive your business? Please share in the comments.